Why do I cry so much?

I just finished looking at the 45 Most Powerful Images of 2011 and I knew this Sunday morning was doomed to tears.  Here I am with my fresh cup of coffee crying over pictures of pain, sorrow, destruction and maybe one or two of joy.  Yes, the images are powerful but what is going on?  Why so much destruction?  Nature has let loose on us and I'm sure it's in retaliation.  Police are pepper spraying non-violent protesters and democracy is being corrupted around the world.  Death.  Lots of death.  Yes, there is some hope amidst the destruction.  Seeing Christians protect Muslims during prayer and a soldier high-fiving an Afghan child.  Those are encouraging photos that choke me up again.

I am feeling a lot here at UPEACE.  Last weekend I was making banana pancakes and listening to New Dimensions on NPR when I started crying.  Why?  Because that was my routine in Telluride.  Not only was it my routine, it was mine and my ex-boyfriends routine.

Lessons learned?  It's ok to be sad.  It's good to reflect, to miss, and to mourn.  And it's important to pick yourself up and look ahead.  Today I am going to look ahead as I continue to write my thesis proposal and look forward to the arts and crafts afternoon I have planned with my new friends.  Hope.  We all represent hope.  We are still here and life is waiting to be lived.  It's OK.

Comments

  1. Reflection is definitely the most powerful way to understand the world that you are living in. Tears are a natural part of reflection. The world can be a super depressing place, but don't forget that if you get sucked into that depression, you're just another victim. You are not a victim. You are strong, and smart, and motivated to make a change. Never give up hope!

    <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homework Centers – A Communal Solution Supporting Student Success

International Day of Peace

North America Night!