It's almost Christmas and there's no snow

Somehow it's raining again.  It's not supposed to rain in December in this part of Costa Rica.  I feel we've already paid our dues to the rain gods.  Maybe it's trying to snow.  I've been missing snow and I never ever expected to be saying or writing anything like that.  One of the highlights of my year in Costa Rica was supposed to be no shoveling and no down coats.  I was in love with the idea of wearing flip flops every day. Sometimes you just have to shake things up to find out who you are and what you need.

Ticos LOVE Christmas.  There are lights and decorations all over town.  Agave plants are decorated with lights and ornaments, if you can picture that.  I'll have to take a picture and post it (when it stops raining)!    Christmas music is funneled through the market.  Fireworks are being set off at random hours all over town.  The bakeries are selling fruit cakes and people actually buy them!  Despite all of the Christmas cheer, it is so difficult to believe that Christmas is near.  When the weather doesn't change, time doesn't seem to pass.

The last two weekends my roommate and I baked cookies and made a nice dinner.  We invited some friends over and listened to Christmas music.  We watched Elf and Home Alone 2.  It was very nice.  We are trying.

Last week Friday was already the highlight of my Christmas.  I went to the National Theater in San Jose to see the nutcracker.  It was just wonderful.  We live in a rural town with not much to offer so a night in the big city was really special.  We treated ourselves to dinner out, walked the streets of downtown checking out the decorations, watched the ballet and had cake and coffee afterwards at an upscale historic hotel.  All of this, including tickets, for $55.  It seemed extravagant.  I almost felt guilty and then just reveled in feeling.... normal.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homework Centers – A Communal Solution Supporting Student Success

International Day of Peace

North America Night!