This blog post was started, not quite finished and never posted!  I decided it was worth a go around and that you might enjoy it.....

Well, the work has started.  Gone are the days tied to my computer, riding the bus to campus, vacationing on the beach and my daily smoothies.  Saturday I moved out of my sleepy home to my temporary home in San Jose where I am based for the upcoming Global Works adventure with 18 wily teenagers.  Oh Colon, how I have grown to love you!  It was sad leaving and I am still nostalgic.  I actually set up 2 dinners for my group in Colon so that I don't have to say goodbye for good just yet.  

My new mantra has become 'I love Costa Rica'.  And I do.  It took me nearly a year to appreciate all that Costa Rica is and has to offer.  Many who come here from Guatemala and Nicaragua complain that Costa Rica lacks culture.  Well, it's culture isn't as distinct or indigenous as the aforementioned places but Costa Rica most certainly has culture.  The people are nice and generally happy.  They really are living the 'pure vida' and there is something to be said for that.  It is a culture of kindness, national pride, family, respect and awe for nature, and laughter.  Does this sound like a culture of peace?  It might be.  It seems close to me.

What I really wanted to share with you are my pictures of a new friend.  A monkey.  Costa Rica's motto is "More monkeys than people."  How can I claim to be a friend of Costa Rica without befriending one of it's most prominent inhabitants?














Comments

  1. This post is going to give me nightmares! I'm terrified of monkeys, and the first photo doesn't help; that's an attack pose if I ever saw one!!! : ) By the way, thank you for defining "pura vida." I knew what the literal translation was but not the underlying meaning. Great post! Even though you're finished with school, I hope you keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homework Centers – A Communal Solution Supporting Student Success

International Day of Peace

North America Night!