Musings of post graduate on an important lesson

I guess maybe I haven't had the time to write this blog entry or maybe it's the desire.  Admitting that my time here is coming to an end is well, here's a list of things I've been feeling: sad, exited, terrified, ready, uncertain, lighthearted, stressed, grateful, love, happy, melancholy, adventurous, free....I really can't keep track.  The people I have had the good fortune to meet and spend a year with are definitely what makes this year worth it.  I would do it again, if I were asked.  I wouldn't give up any of them.  Now that they are in my life, I need them there.  Their contribution to my learning both in and out of the classroom was exceptional and their friendship is a treasure.  How else could we have met?  Under what other circumstances?  Beautiful, loving friends from Nigeria, Israel, Rwanda, India, USA, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Indonesia, South Korea, Canada, Spain and so many more places.  It's overwhelming, really.  So is the love that I feel.

This year taught me something I was already on the road to learning.  I have arrived.  Life is about people.  It is about relationships.  Community is key.  I believe that community is the key to both peace and happiness (along with education, of course).  I love nature and hikes alone but most of the time, I am happiest when I am sharing.  We all need our time alone, seeking personal peace, but isn't it easier finding that peace when you know there is love all around you?

We are the creators of our communities.  They might not exist in a neat little 10 block radius, campus or    cul-de-sac but in our hearts and our intentions.  When we are conscious of the people around us and we give our best selves to them, they will respond in kind.

I made a friend out of the baker from whom I buy my bread.  She didn't really acknowledge me at first when I went to her store.  Since I went there weekly, I decided that I would make it a point to greet her and smile at her each and every time.  All I ever did was buy bread and eggs from her but for some reason I wanted to connect.  And so, I continued to ooh and ahh over her grandson and greet her family members in the store.  And soon, I was greeted with a smile and when I saw her on the street we exchanged greetings.

I feel like a part of this community and as I say my goodbyes, I also say goodbye to the people that remain here making bread, selling cheese, and serving coffee.  Time and time again they tell me how much they appreciate it.  I have learned here from my friends that you make the time and the effort always.  Do not rush a greeting or departure or what happens in between.  Time and presence are two of your greatest gifts.

Doesn't it seem simple?  When we truly value each other, we want each other to be happy.  We care about what happens to them.  As my friend Chantal from Rwanda wisely stated today, "There is no life without people and no people without life".  It seems simple and yet it doesn't seem to make sense.  But when I think about it, I think we just need to recognize each other as humans; always.

Practice.  I am practicing.  I have learned this, but will I always remember?  I plan on practicing.  I am a continual student in this great wide wondrous world.

Saying goodbye to the cheese lady!
Friends at my apartment for a farewell lasagna dinner.


 More on graduation another time.  I'm still not up for it!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homework Centers – A Communal Solution Supporting Student Success

International Day of Peace

North America Night!