So you say you want a revolution?

A cold Michelada on a hot day on Samara beach

It seems so long ago, yet it's only been a week.  Vacation came and went in a whirl of travel, reading, sight-seeing, writing and finally relaxing.  There is something so special about the beach, about the ocean.  I get a sense of calm and relaxation that has been rare and difficult to embrace during this year of intensity.  Traveling is not vacation.  Maybe it is, but it wasn't relaxing.  Especially when you are on a budget and staying at hostels that cost $10/night.  Comfort is not included in that price.  Traveling is my specialty, however, and I can't handle leaving a rock unturned.  Adventure and me have had a long and successful relationship.

So, the beach.  Upon arrival, I found myself.  My wonderful self who laughs easily and hasn't a care in the world.  Easy going is not synonymous with Jenn Manhoff except for on the beach!  I traveled with Sharon from Israel and her friend Adam who was visiting from Israel.  By the time we checked into our beach front hotel, the only beach activity happening was happy hour.  We gladly partook and our evening ensued with deep conversations that became proportionately more interesting with the amount of tequila imbibed.  We discussed what makes someone charismatic, Freire's liberation theology and how we would skip dinner in favor of more tequila.  And that's all I remember of conversation.  It was a full moon night. When we arrived back to our room right on the beach we saw the moon, looked at each other in anticipation, joy and excitement and proceeded to fling off our clothes and run around the beach, jumping in and out of the ocean waves laughing and singing.  When we slowed down I would gleefully chant "Run Around! Run Around!" and we were off again!  Drinking tequila is like drinking red bull as far as unending energy is concerned.  Finally, we retired to bed after saying goodnight to the lucky guard who we hadn't noticed witnessing our joyous dance.

In the morning, we slowly awoke.  It was tough, I admit, but I was ready to get my beach on!  And breakfast.  I opened our door and took in the gorgeous site of palm trees, beach, sun and blue skies meeting blue ocean.  I looked down and saw an empty stoop.  I looked inside and couldn't find my shoes.  Then I remembered that we had left them on the stoop.  3 people left 5 pairs of shoes outside.  I told the crew the news and lamented the loss of my Chacos while Sharon cried about her orange crocs and sandals from Israel.  "I overheard a girl last night comment on how great my sandals were!"  Sharon was in a bad way.  Adam suggested I ask the guard about the shoes.  I felt ridiculous going to the front desk to ask about 5 pairs of missing shoes for the 3 people in the beachfront room.  The front desk man happily informed me the guard put all of our shoes and clothes in the kitchen when we retired to bed after our full moon frolicking.  Sure enough, I walked into the kitchen and there were our shoes all lined up!  As I loaded my arms with our belongings I felt like Santa Claus.  I proudly burst into our room and declared "Happy Hanukkah!"  The day was saved.  Except for Sharon who couldn't keep down my lovingly prepared breakfast.  Adam and I proceeded to sprint from the hammocks to the beach and back as we took our swims, catch many waves boogie boarding amongst surfers  and end the day with sunset yoga on the beach.  I fell in love with Adam that day.  He is 24, beautiful and has a boyfriend.

And so our vacation continued with me never leaving the beach and 2 more friends joining us.  We spent our days beach combing, sun bathing, reading and boogie boarding and our evenings having drinks and playing our new favorite card game - Yaniv.  It's Israeli and addictive, like Adam.  We were five fabulous frolickers drinking up the last days of vacation.  Sipping them really, to make them last longer.  It was lovely.  We shared a room, we shared stories, we shared fun, we shared meals, and friendship.

When I returned and looked at my homework for Monday, my first emotion was resentment.  I resented grad school.  Luckily, as I began my reading, I found my love of learning lurking inside and rising up.  My current class is Strategic Non-Violent Resistance.  It is so cool.  Our professor is visiting from Georgetown University.  Essentially we are learning how to start a revelation.  Haven't you always wanted to do that?  My reading for tomorrow is titled, "Breaking the Real Axis of Evil: How to Oust the World's Last Dictators by 2025 ".  Cool.  

Comments

  1. You're such a little hippie! I love the fun you're having! You are changing the world already, just by being in it and spreading your good energy. Love you, miss you, Kate and Wrenna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I'm glad the night guards are watching out for you guys! Kate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homework Centers – A Communal Solution Supporting Student Success

International Day of Peace

North America Night!