Stimulating Conversation with Star Studded Eyes

As I mentioned in my last post, after the screening of Hello Herman, there was a question and answer session.  This session was led by Oscar Torres, who is also working on the movie.  Oscar Torres wrote and directed Voces Inocentes, a biographical account of his experience growing up during the civil war in El Salvador.  I have used this movie in my classroom many times.  It is visually and emotionally powerful which helps the kids to begin to understand and feel the impossible, unfair situations faced by many.  I am a big fan.  And Oscar Torres was standing right there, five feet from me and all I could do was cry.  As I mentioned earlier, I was crying for the world so it was no small thing.  I so wanted to ask some questions and give my impressions of this new movie but I just couldn't pull myself together.

I cried all the way home on the bus.  I thought about it some more.  It's nice to put a positive spin on things and say "That's why we are here.  Look at how many people want to make a change.  We just have to do what we can."  Yes, that's all true, but our current state is dire that I felt the need to acknowledge it and to feel the impossible weight and be sad.  I am going to work to make a difference and I know there is a lot of good in the world but I want everything to be good for everyone.  So?

Anyway, I was whole heartedly disappointed that I didn't get to speak with Oscar.  Then, as I was walking home I ran into my professor who happened to be hosting him.  I explained to him the movie's impact on me and asked him to pass it along.  He said, "Oh, you can tell him yourself.  He's going to open mic night tonight."  So, later that night, I found myself trying to work up the courage to talk to Oscar Torres.  I felt like a star struck teenager.  Really, I could barely bring myself to just walk up and say something.  Other students were effortlessly talking to him and I couldn't do it!  Finally, I managed to walk up and tell him how his movie affected me.  He was so kind and really listened.   I couldn't take the pressure of continuing a conversation and let him go back to enjoying the show while I happily glowed back to my seat.

My big plan for the evening had been to go to open mic night and then go home and be in bed by ten.  My roommate was conflicted as we left for open mic on whether or not she should go to the big birthday bash in El Rodeo.  El Rodeo is the where the university is located and it's 10K from town.  It can be really difficult to get a taxi up there after a party.  I told her that my plan was to come home and go to bed and I had no issues with missing a party for some much needed sleep!  Well, I came to find out that Oscar would be at the party and after 2 cups of sangria, that was all I needed to know to jump in the party van to El Rodeo!

Jen and I had a system worked out to be home by midnight.  We often took roll call yelling out "Jen? Jen!  All present!"  It's good to have a partner in crime.  At the party I somehow ended up in conversation with Oscar and soon it was just the two of us engaged in wonderful life stories and meandering dialogue.  We were honest with each other and revealed personal histories and vignettes.  It was lovely and I was buoyant and thankful.  He is so inspiring and compassionate.  I learned and laughed a lot.  He made me feel capable and accomplished and that there is a world of possibility waiting for me.  After talking about the movie some more, we spoke about change that could happen and really how simple it all is.  He made it seem possible.  I got home late.  And lighthearted.  Oscar is my new addiction.  I hope I get another dose.  His charisma is inspiring.  After his movie my heart ached and I wallowed in the sorrows of the world.  After one conversation, I believed that we, and people like us, would change it.

I turned into a pumpkin that night but it was worth it.  Another weekend passed with little sleep or rest.  Tonight is Sunday.  Maybe I will sleep soon.  I'm not so tired any more, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homework Centers – A Communal Solution Supporting Student Success

International Day of Peace

North America Night!