Stand Up!

Friday, February 17 marked the UPEACE second open mic night.  UPEACE provides an incredibly supportive environment which makes this event truly successful.  Since promoting happiness and laughter is a part of my personal mission statement,  I decided that I would put together a stand up routine.    I was nervous and really unsure of what I would say.  As the night became closer, I was more excited than nervous because I realized that whatever happened, my community would support me.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could all go out on a limb and try something new because we lived in a safe place?  Having a supportive community allows for creativity.  When we have support, we are more likely to take risks.


"Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first." 
Frederick Wilcox


"Go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is." 
Jimmy Carter

It was fun AND I got a lot of positive feedback.  I am definitely an amateur but we all have to start somewhere.  I opened myself up for a new nickname (Jennifer Nalgas Deliciosas Manhoff) and some jokes on me (you are our greatest asset)!  Unwittingly, I created a venue for others to tell me their dating woes and other stories about the opposite sex.  What did I learn?  That I have a voice.  That if I have a desire to do something, like stand up, it is worth the risk!  If I had not done it, I would have regretted my non-action.  Living without regret is an art form and it takes guts.

I would like to point out that 2 of the experiences I talk about are my own and 2 are borrowed!

Warning: The following content is rated PG-13 rating due to content and language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homework Centers – A Communal Solution Supporting Student Success

International Day of Peace

North America Night!