Our Temporary Status on Earth

Today, at UPEACE, we were all reminded of the impermanence of life.  It started out as a normal day.  Students came to school.  We fretted over due dates and worked on group projects.  While I was in a career development seminar, other students were in class.  A much-admired teacher was teaching about environmental issues. Professor Mahmoud was a passionate teacher.  He didn't feel well yet he came to class to not only teach, but passionately teach.  His students noticed he wasn't feeling well and asked him to at least teach sitting down.  He could not.  During class, Prof. Mahmoud collapsed and was taken to the clinic on campus where he passed on shortly after.  It was devastating for all.

While I did not know Professor Mahmoud personally, I know he was a great man.  I know this by the sadness that overwhelmed school and faculty.  I know this from the countless stories that have been told today about the man that had not been known to have an argument on campus.  The man that remembered everyone's name.  The man that was vibrantly passionate about his mission in life.  The man that lived his purpose.

We are all reminded of our temporary status on this earth.  It is true that we all have a life's mission.  It should not be taken for granted.  Nor should the people around us.  In times like these we are reminded, but how many of us will remember?  It is a large responsibility, being given a life to live.  Only you can know what you need to do.  Listen.  Listen carefully to that little voice inside of you.  Acknowledge desires and act on them.  Look for the good in everyone; it is there.  Find the silver lining and soon you will have a silver tea set for as many people as you would like to serve.

Today during career development I was asked to reflect on what matters most to me and what I can give to the world.  Then I wrote it down.  Here is what I wrote: Living a life filled with joy and sharing and creating joyful learning experiences for others.  Always learning and moving forward.  Living in a way that I can enjoy and appreciate nature while sharing its importance with others, so that they may value it too.

Joy is my middle name.  It is also what I feel I have to give. It is important to my work and my life.  I checked it off as one of my highest values in life along with learning and personal growth.  Thank you Mom and Dad for giving me such a name to live up to.  When I think of how I want to be remembered, it is as someone that made room for everyone in her life that needed her and helped them find their joy.

What are the values that motivate you?  What matters to you?  What do you have to give to the world?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homework Centers – A Communal Solution Supporting Student Success

International Day of Peace

North America Night!